Saturday, September 20, 2008

Our First Day

The day is not quite over but we have enough information to write an entertaining post! The morning started early so of course I was headed to our kitchen to make coffee. I turned on the light and noticed that we had some company - a frog. Being the brave person that I am - I went and got Don up. He chased it out of the kitchen and all around the family room area with a broom. Eventually he got it to out the door. And then I made the coffee.

The Fickers have 3 dogs. I was sitting outside reading my Bible and drinking my coffee when one of the dogs (Puma) spotted me. He immediately began barking. The other dogs had to come to see what was going on and soon they were all barking and coming towards me. I wasn't sure what the reaction was going to be when they reached me but I didn't panic. I just sat very still in my chair. Once they arrived I began petting them and talking to them. Then decided to take my coffee and Bible back inside!

The plan had been for me to go to the market with Leslie last night when we arrived. Unfortunately we were later than expected. The new plan for me was to go this morning. However, I cannot drive a stick so someone would have to take me. (Duane has decided we can use the airport runway so Don can teach me - I asked if we could please not attempt that on the first day!) Anyway, Rachel (13-year-old) was going to go with me to translate but she can't drive. None of her brothers were very excited about taking us so Rachel asked if we could go on the 4-wheeler. So I went to market to buy our fruit and vegetables and bread for lunch on the back of a 4-wheeler in a skirt! I am just glad that no one had their camera out! It is all part of the adventure.

Hannah had her and Bethany's camera out this morning and took a few pictures. We would like to share a couple with you.

This is Duane with Grace and Abi after they went to get some eggs for breakfast.


Here is one of the Ficker's dogs. You can also see the back of a cat head - Bethany was wanting him in the picture as well.


This is Abi holding the kitty (I am surprised that Bethany put him down long enough for Abi to get a turn!)


Abi and Grace are two Guatemala little girls that the Fickers are in the process of adopting. Grace will be four in Feb. and Abi is almost 3. The Fickers have had them since they were babies.

Don worked in clinic this morning. It was a little smaller so it was a good one to get him back into the swing of things. His main comment was that he needs to learn more Spanish! He will post tomorrow after the San Andres clinic.

2 comments:

Mary Jean Bell said...

Thank God that your family is reunited in Guatemala!

I have been following your story.

May you be blessed in your new mission.

You are especially blessed to be with the Fickers.

Love and prayers,
Mary Jean Bell
Matt Bell's mother

Agape In Action said...

SO glad to hear that all is well.

Sorry I was unable to participate in the adventure this time. Maybe next time!!!

Say HI to everyone for us!!!