Saturday, September 13, 2008

Eye of the Hurricane

I woke up at around 6 am this morning and checked the progress of Ike on the internet. At that moment, the eye of the hurricane was passing over the part of Houston where Don is staying. It is a small town called, Porter, TX just north of Houston. The first emotion was fear and anxiety. Then I realized that it is in the center where the winds are the calmest. The peace of the Lord covered my anxiety and fear and I had this tremendous feeling that the Lord was protecting Don and sheltering him from the storm. I have been relying on the feeling that we have had from the beginning that the Lord has called us to go to Guatemala for 7 months. He has work for us to do there. He has continued to provide for us financially to live there without income. He has confirmed over and over that this is His plan for us. He also is in control of all of this, the hurricane, the delay in getting to Mexico and the uncertainty of how this is all going to look. I am not sure if this was a "test" for us but it has deepened my reliance on Him and my trust in Him. In Isaiah 43 it says "When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you." I am so thankful that He promises to be with all of us through the difficulties that we face.

I did call Don this morning at 7:30 am and actually woke him up. They lost power at 2 am so he decided he might as well go to sleep. He was looking out the windows while he was talking to me and said that he did see some limbs down and what looked like "shredded" leaves etc. everywhere but he could not see any major damage from where he was. We talked for a little while and then I let him go because he wanted to go back to sleep. Apparently this hurricane was not disrupting him too much! He will try to get ahold of John sometime today and see how his house fared. If the hurricane did not flood their house or cause extensive damage, John said that he would be ready to leave for the border sometime on Sunday. Please keep praying for their safety and protection. When I know something, I will pass it along to you! Thanks for reading.

No comments: