Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Tuesday

When I arrived at Dad's room this morning, all the lights were on and the nurse was in with him. I had this initial feeling of "ugh - what has happened." Turns out the nurse likes to turn the lights on when he does his 4 am assessment. Later Dad told me that he had to be cleaned up as well which justifies the lights a little bit more. I realized that I am excited about the progress but a little anxious about another setback.

 I did my Bible reading (by flashlight so the lights could go back off!) and just sat and prayed for a little while. These past almost 5 weeks have been such a rollercoaster ride that I am finding myself waiting for the next setback. I do not want to be in this place. Our Bible reading for today was Psalm 92. There are often verses that I read and have no insight as to how they apply to me. Here is one that caught my eye:

But you have made me as strong as a wild ox. 
You have anointed me with the finest oil. Psalm 92:10

Hmmm. . . really Lord? Then I started praying it over Dad - "May You make him as strong as a wild ox and anoint him with the finest oil." I am not really sure how strong a wild ox is but it seems like it should be strong enough to get him out of bed, strong enough to breathe on his own, strong enough to start eating solid foods, strong enough to do whatever it takes to get him better.

Dad is working on a clear liquid tray right now. He had a red popsicle, a few bites of jello and some hot tea. They have stopped the cipro. They plan to stop the zosyn today. Hopefully this will help with the diahrea. His white cell count is still hovering around 13. They will keep him on the bactrim for a couple more days. There is talk of moving him - one resident says "yes"; the other one says "I am not in a hurry" - we shall see. Dad needs to get up and get moving today. He needs to keep trying to eat some solids. Please keep praying that the diahrea stops. . . and that the Lord makes him "as strong as a wild ox!" ; )

No comments: