Sunday, May 27, 2012

Canned Peaches

We did a lot of camping when I was young.  We had a pop-up camper for a while and then a small hard-sided pull-behind camper.  We had friends that we would camp with but sometimes we went just as a family.  The best part was around the campfire at night.  We would roast marshmallows (Mom loves her burnt black!) and Dad would tell stories.  Often we would find out information about his childhood that Mom had never heard before.  Dad's mom died when he was very young and life was tough for him.  He told us about a time when he jumped a fence and took some apples so he could eat an "apple sandwich".

What does all of this have to do with canned peaches?  Well, Dad LOVED canned peaches.  I have memories of him eating the slimy peaches with the really thick syrup from all seasons of my life.  He even asked for canned peaches when he was in the hospital.  But what I really remember about canned peaches were his stories about the "trail drive".

When we would camp (and other times as well) he would make up these big, elaborate stories about the trail drive.  He loved westerns and especially John Wayne.  He would insert himself into whatever information he learned from movies and then tell us these huge stories of life on the trail drive.  A necessity on the trail was canned peaches.  They would "pop open" a can and then leave them alongside the trail as markers for those that followed.  Jen and I believed these stories for a very, long time (or at least I did - Jen may deny it!).  We loved to hear about the adventures on the trail drive.  Opening a can of peaches would always begin another long tale of his adventures!

Don and I were in Menards on our date last week (I know, really exciting!).  I always have to go look up and down their food aisles because they often have some great clearance and sale items.  As I am perusing the aisles, I turn the corner and come face-to-face with a huge display of canned peaches.  Ugh!  The emotions and memories try to escape but I quickly push them down and continue walking.

These are the hardest times for me.  These little, unexpected moments of memories that cause a deep ache inside of me.  I long for the day when seeing a display of canned peaches causes me to smile because of the happy memories not leave me empty because I miss my Dad.

Mom is back at work and keeping herself busy but yesterday was a hard day for her.  Saturdays were their day.  If Dad had to deliver mail, she would get her stuff done in the morning, make him a sandwich for when he stopped home quick, and be ready for whatever plans they had when he was finished.  If he didn't have to work they would be off running errands or whatever.

Yesterday was Mom's first Saturday alone.  She has been here or we were there for the past few weeks. She is coming here later today but they are honoring Dad in church this morning because of Memorial Day and she didn't want to miss it.  I am so thankful for her circle of friends that have been inviting her to supper or bringing her food or just checking-in on her.  She received an invitation yesterday afternoon to spend the evening with friends which was just want she needed to make it through her tough day.  I told her about the peaches.  She had just had a conversation with a friend about how the memories will someday change from taking your breath away to making you smile.  We are both longing for that change but know that we have to walk through this tough stuff to get there.  

It has been four weeks since Dad left us for his new adventure in heaven.  I am assuming he is eating canned peaches and telling stories about the trail drive to whomever will listen!  Funny to be jealous of those who get to hear his stories now.

"I weep with sorrow; encourage me by your word."  Psalm 119:28


No comments: