Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Vitamins

On Sunday, my friend gave us a big bag of medicine and supplies for Guatemala. She had purchased 3 large bottles of vitamins with iron and told me that one of the grocery store chains had them on sale for 50% off. This meant we could buy a bottle of 300 vitamins for less than $5. This was a way better price than anything that we had found so far. The only catch was that the sale was done on Tuesday.

After church we decided to go "hunting" for vitamins. We ended up going to 6 different stores and came home with over 20 bottles of vitamins. Then we got on the internet at home to find more locations. There were a few but many of them were really out of the way for us. We did see two more that were relatively convenient for me to go to after my Bible study on Tuesday morning (the last day of the sale).

On Tuesday, I went to one store on 180th St. and found two bottles of vitamins plus a few other groceries etc. Then I drove to 97 St. to another store. I found 4 bottles but when I took them up to the cashier, they did not scan at the sale price. The checker asked the manager if he would go check the price. He came back and said that they should have scanned at 50% off. The checker started to take off the original price with a line item that said "scan price guarantee". I asked her what that meant and she said that their store policy was to give the item for free if it didn't scan correctly. I only had to pay $3 for the sales tax and I left with another 1200 vitamins!

We ended up with about 30 bottles of Children's vitamins with iron (about 9000 vitamins) for about $130 (including what my friend paid for her 3 bottles). This is less than 2 cents per vitamin. The best deals we had found were more like 4 cents a piece. This doesn't seem like a big difference until you take it times 9000! At 4 cents a piece, 9000 vitamins should have cost us closer to $360.

Many people have been giving us gifts of cash to buy the things we need. As of yesterday, we had received about $100 which almost covers what we paid for the vitamins. Just writing this all out for you overwhelms me with how the Lord answered my prayer for vitamins. Thanks for praying with us! Now we just have to figure out how to pack them. :)

"If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer." Matthew 21:22
"And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:19

No comments: